For some reason, I am way excited about food at the moment. Maybe it's the season or maybe I'm just hungry, but nonetheless, I feel it's about time I devoted a blog to this great love of mine. Last night I came home to caramel apples. Matthew apparently captured the entire process on his camera, so hopefully he'll have a blog up soon sharing the sugary bliss. And today, I'm making my mom's Italian Lentil Soup, which is a lot of fun to make since it basically starts out looking like just a bunch of vegetables in standing water but turns out as this amazing soup, perfect for a cold day like today.
I spent a good chunk of the morning figuring out all the details of our Thanksgiving feast. I am going to attempt to make a turkey, dressing, gravy, mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, corn casserole, green beans, pumpkin pie, apple pie, and the infamous Ribbon Jello. Though this may seem like a lot of food for only two people, Matthew and I gave a lot of thought to it and decided we'd rather have Thanksgiving left-overs for 2 weeks than 2 days. I mean, who wouldn't??
Reasons why this seems to be taking up so much of my brain power right now:
1) It's rather interesting trying to plan for Thanksgiving when you can't really make one giant trip to the grocery store.
2) There's a lot of pressure since this is our first Thanksgiving as a married couple and therefore my first turkey. :/
3) I'm not even sure I'll be able to find cranberry sauce or pumpkin for my pumpkin pie or about seven other things that I'll be needing.
4) I planned for all of these sorts of meals when registering for our wedding, and let's just say it's a bit off-putting when you find yourself with only 3 saucepans when all your lovely casserole dishes are being put to good use as they sit in boxes back home.
5) At first I didn't think I'd mind not having Thanksgiving since it wouldn't be the same without friends and family (which it won't), but now that we've taken the time and effort to actually celebrate it, I'm really excited about it. I think it'll be fun. Plus, it's probably the first time that Matthew and I will have a day off together for about 3 weeks now. And what better way to celebrate than with loads of food and the promise of chatting with everyone via Skype? Let's just say I have a lot to be thankful for.
Swinging :)
11 years ago
2 comments:
I'm glad you guys are celebrating! And you go girl with that turkey- I think I'd be way too intimidated...by the way, I walked through Bryant Park today and saw a stand selling Nutella and banana crepes. I thought to myself "What would Emily and Matthew do?" and immediately purchased one. So thanks for your influence- it was delicious :)
I could make a "maybe you're pregnant joke" but I'll refrain :P. (see what I did there?) ...that is a lot of food, but I almost like the leftovers better. Nothing like fresh turkey sandwiches, fritos, coke, and football, or in y'all's case, football.
Post a Comment