Sunday, November 9, 2008

Remember, remember...



A few weeks ago, Matthew and I celebrated our first Guy Fawkes Day. And though they might seem similar, let me tell you, Guy Fawkes Day fireworks are way different from Independence Day fireworks. Rather than picnicking on a warm, sunny evening passing the time with friends and family while you wait for it to get dark, the Brits stand in pairs in the middle of park in the freezing cold and mud, hoping it doesn't start raining again as they watch fireworks that are partially hidden by clouds. Needless to say, it was weird. Whilst I was having flashbacks of The Happening, I kept hoping the fireworks would form into an encircled "V." We did end up watching V for Vendetta when we got home. (Sidenote: we did some Guy Fawkes history, and we think the movies may have lied to us yet again. But I'm going to poll the people at work to get the cold hard facts. Stay tuned.) And of course, since Guy Fawkes Day is the last British holiday before Christmas, we followed suit and put our tree up the next day.
And since I have been typing this, Matthew has handed me a cup of cocoa, but not just any cup of cocoa...it's Nutella cocoa. All you Nutella lovers out there can simply imagine the joy of epic proportions that is in my mug. And for those of you would have not yet encountered the pleasures of Nutella, my condolences.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the origami star atop the tree! Is that an Instructables-inspired creation?

Lauren said...

OH MY FREAKING GOSH at the number of empty Nutella jars y'all have.

Matthew said...

It's a modular origami project. It's made up of 30 identical pieces (hence, modular) folded in a shape called a 'sonobe'. Google search for 'sonobe origami' for instructions.

I thought it would be fun to make an ornament or two out of wrapping paper, and Emily helped too...

Deborah said...

Shoot, you should make ornaments out of Nutella jars.

Andrew said...

Nutella Cocoa? oh man I have to try that. And yeah, Guy Fawkes day is kinda anticlimactic after July 4th.